Book online now!

Tivoli

TivoliThe town of Tivoli dates back to the 13th century BC (accordingly, it was founded before Rome). Tivoli is located in 30 km from Rome on the first slope of the Apennine foothill on the Aniene River, which is the main source for the four Roman aqueducts. Even in the ancient times poets praised the favourable climate of Tivoli, capricious character of the tiburtines and the beauty of their buildings. This place have always been popular with the Romans because of its favourable location – alongside the old Via Tiburtina.

Our excursion includes visiting Hadrian’s villa built in the II century AD. The construction occupies approximately 300 ha, 1/5 of which are open for tourists. The delicate taste of the Emperor Hadrian let the villa connect different architectural styles which are nicely combined with the beauty of the local landscape.

The Villa d’Este is the continuation of the traditions of the Roman villas, though it is related to the Renaissance period. In 1550 the architect Pirro Ligorrio worked for the cardinal Ippolito II D’Este, the son of Lucrezia Borgia, the governor of the town of Tivoli. The Villa d’Este is a masterpiece of the Italian garden and is famous for its fountains with unusual water effects, hydraulic music and unforgettable water nymphs.

Both of the villas described above are the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The entrance tickets are not included into the excursion price. Tivoli is interesting for tourists because of its medieval houses, Pius citadel built in the XV century, Villa Grigoriana, Roman amphitheater built in the V century, the remains of the old temples (worshipping Hercules and the temple of Vesta), and also interesting pottery, juicy fruit, olive oil, stone-pits, where the so-called “tiburtine stone” used for the Coliseum cladding is obtained. 

ORDER AN TOUR

Excursion Order